Saturday, December 18, 2010

Third Season a No Go, Campaign Reorganization:

Well folks,
I’m afraid I have bad news for you. Thursday afternoon, the news broke on deadline, and was officially confirmed by Syfy on Twitter. that Season 2 of “Stargate: Universe” would be its last. Below is the cancelation announcement on Gateworld, and then a very well written editorial on why the show was canceled.
First off, I want to take a moment to thank all of you for supporting the campaign and “Stargate: Universe.” Though we may have failed our primary goal of keeping SGU on air for a third season, we certainly had a great run. I’ve been honored to meet and work with so many great people on this campaign.
While this is certainly heartbreaking news, there is still a chance that we can get more SGU. Only Syfy has canceled the show, and MGM might have interest in continuing SGU, provided they are making a profit (in the form of a season on another network, a movie, a miniseries etc). They planned to make movies with “Stargate SG-1” and “Stargate: Atlantis” when they were canceled, but were unable to do so due to the economy and its massive debt.
However, the debt is clearing, and MGM is now under new management. They have begun to greenlight new projects, and money is now there for future potential projects, including more*SGU.
I must admit, when I got the text that SGU was canceled, I was ready to give up. For the rest of the day I wanted nothing to do with the campaign.
However, when the dust began to settle, and I was able to take a step back from my frustration and think clearly. I realized that things might not be over. I really urge all of you to put this depressing news behind us, and look to the future and support the show, even if its just watching a few episodes on Hulu, or buying some episodes on iTunes or DVD.
Currently, we don’t have any campaign activities scheduled, but I’ve been in contact with several people, and we’re forming a gameplan as I type this. This campaign is just as much yours as it is mine, so I would love to hear where you guys would like to see this campaign go as we plan for the future.
Do you want to campaign for a third season on Syfy? Try to get another channel to pick up SGU for a third season? Campaign for a movie? Or maybe you think its time the campaign end?
Please shoot me a response on Twitter, e-mail us (under the contact section on our site), or drop us a line on our Facebook page.
Thanks again for your support guys! You’re the best!
SGU Awareness Campaign Team

No comments:

Post a Comment